Global Minechem Corporation provides Vermiculite in India. Vermiculite is a term functional commercially to micaceous minerals which are alteration products of biotite or phlogopite micas, produced by the removal of alkalies and addition of water. Vermiculite differs from mica in its attribute property.
The crude vermiculite is predominantly exfoliated before utilization. For converting raw vermiculite into a product fitting for industrial use, it must be exfoliated or lengthened by heating, a procedure also called as ‘exfoliation’.
Characteristics of Vermiculite
- Light weight
- Low bulk density
- Excellent insulator
- No Asbestos
- available in various sizes
Typical Chemical analysis
The chemical analysis of both crude and exfoliated vermiculite is the same
|Typical Ranges for Major Components|
|SiO2||35 – 41%|
|Al2O3||6.0 – 10.0%|
|Fe2O3||6.0 – 9.5%|
|MgO||21.5 – 25.5%|
|K2O||3.0 – 6.0%|
|Typical Ranges for Minor Components|
|CaO||2.0 – 6.0%|
|CO2||0.6 – 2.5%|
|TiO2||0.6 – 1.4%|
|F||0.2 – 0.8%|
|Cr2O3||0.01 – 0.10%|
|P||0.2 – 2.0%|
|Cl||0 – 0.5%|
Key Usage of Vermiculite
- Horticultural: Vermiculite is used for horticultural applications. It is a key element in potting soils. It is used for circulation in drilling mud and annealing of steel.
- Insulation: It is chemically inert, fireproof, non-conductor of electricity and used as an insulator for radiant and conducted heat, cold as well as sound.
- Carrier: It is utilized as a carrier in fertilizers, herbicides as well as insecticides.
- Binding: It is used as a binding agent to structural steel members in the commercial buildings.
- Other Uses: It is also used as fireproof plaster and for the refractory board. The fine-sized and untreated vermiculite concentrates are used in the grounding of fireproof plaster boards. The larger vermiculite granules are used for thermal insulation meant for usage in homes, industrial structures, refrigeration, cold storage, and with high as well as low temperature industrial equipment.